In June 2018 Google made changes to the way it lets us use its maps on our websites. In true Google style it has issued a lot of documentation around this, that is as clear as mud.
The result of not changing to the new Google Map rules is glaringly obvious.
However, we have done what research we can, and come up with a small list of key points:
- Google offers $200 a month ‘free credit’
- Google itself says “Yes. When you enable billing, you get $200 free usage every month for Maps, Routes, or Places. Based on the millions of users using our APIs today, most of them can continue to use Google Maps Platform for free with this credit.”
- This means that the likelihood of your website exceeding the map impression limit (how many times a visitor loads your page where your map is) will be very slim.
- Google do now require a credit card on file though, for billing should the need arise.
Your options are as follows:
- Add a credit card to your Google account
- Remove the map from your website
- Purchase our Add Map Image Extra instead of the interactive map
If you wish to make any changes to your site’s Google Map, then please open a support card in your Trello support board.